Thursday 8 May 2014

Catching the Midsummer Rain: A Short Story

I planned to go home early today. No staying a little later than I was expected to. These past few days, I've been staying later than 6:00 PM, our dismissal time, in our office. This is my third week being an intern. I am agitated to get it over with. This afternoon, I eyed for things to be done at once so I can leave the time I should.

My boss came back from outside the office. "It's raining outside. Will you guys be okay?" It was 5:31 PM. Will you be okay? Is that even a question? I need to go home at this hour, I thought a while ago.

I was polishing my work. I should be over with these. It's raining outside, and even if I'm within the walls of the company, I felt like I can feel the chills from the rain seeping through. I shouldn't miss the midsummer rain, I thought. People thought I was hurrying to get home because I was trying to avoid traffic or heavy rains. No. I was trying to catch something. I was trying to catch the rain. I was excited to witness the heavy drops pour from the skies.

I was done packing up by 5:42 PM. I became conscious of myself. I don't think it looks good to go home earlier but, I needed to go out.

Then I bid goodbye by 5:48 PM

I opened the glass doors, and went out smiling to and with myself. The rain was pouring heavily. It was lavishly showering the thirsty green creatures that have been getting too much attention from the sun lately. 

I love rains. I love the drowsy feeling it has. It is a remarkable season for joy, sorrow, fear, passion, art and anything else around the hem. I love how it makes me wanna be happy and sad at the same time. I love how beautiful it feels when it's raining and you're sleeping or reading or writing.

I walked along the bricked and tiled floors of the outdoor halls, smiling and excited while fumbling for my umbrella. Had I not been tired I would have given myself in to that pouring rain! But I was still sane to manage to shield myself from the furious raindrops. I put my headphones on and played indie folk music. It was a dreamy, blurry walk. I walked along UP Technohub's center, where the fountains are found. The fountain was off that time. The rain water is increasing, its height reached the ankles of my sneakers. I was so happy, I felt like I could dance under the pouring skies. 

I rode the FX to Lacson Street. I was satisfied. It was cold. I was listening to good music. And I opened my Kindle reader, and clicked to where I was reading. That journey could go on forever. I sometimes look up to catch glimpses of the rain outside. The droplets make the van's window look cracked. This really could go on forever. 

The rain eventually stopped. 

It was a beautiful few minutes of my life. 

It just rained. But no, it will not rain  just yet. 

The rain is back. The seasons are changing. Again.

I can't wait to start another season of my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment