Tuesday 20 May 2014

Interview with Jon Foreman

This morning, I was digging stuff on Youtube, and I came across an Air1 interview with Jon Foreman (Switchfoot's frontman). This was held last January 2014, while Switchfoot was on tour promoting their latest album, Fading West.

I can't help but post this video on my page, because the interview was so beautiful, it actually hits/targets the fourth-quadrant-people. In this interview, Jon talked about questions nonbelievers ask, and questions lingering in Christians' heads.

By the way, Swtichfoot is an American alt rock band. The members of the band are Christians but they are not a Christian band (see here), thus they commercially target the secular market.

"Where is God in the genocide?" (his thoughts when he wrote the song Vice Verses)

"I can be filled with horrible thoughts in the very center of church or conversely, I can be in the mind of Christ in a really dark place..."

"The church can be the most dangerous place for Christians, because we can be so insulated, incubated, we forget about the suffering..."

"The moment you ask yourself 'Why am I here?', 'Is there God, is He real?', then that's the moment you drive yourself to discovery."

"There are surfers chasing waves... but what if we made a movie about surfers chasing songs not just waves" on their movie, Fading West.


Switchfoot is a classic favorite of mine. Usually, Jon tackles the interior of a Christian's life in most of his writings. He also writes about people who are confused and who are trying to find meaning in life. He exposes what other Christians try to cover. I love that I could say "this song is my life" on most of their tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment