Friday 4 January 2013

The Same Stuff As Stars

The first novel I've read this year:
This was the first book Yna, my college bestie, gave me on my 18th bday (just last Oct). First because she gave me two, one was on the exact date of my bday and the other on the celeb. Anyways, I find this book really cool.

Ever since before, I have a knack on the concept of "stars". I just find it so amazing, being so far away and still being there before our very eyes. Haha. Well, I loved this book because of the innocence, dreaminess, and (touch of) realism on it. It is about a little girl who has a nasty little brother (but really is a good boy within) and a mom who isn't responsible enough to take care of them. Their mom left them under the care of their great-granma since she couldn't take care of them and their dad is behind the bars.

The character, Angel, was only 11 and she had to stand up and be the grown-up. I actually felt guilty, while reading this book, because I know that though this is fiction well-written by Katherine Paterson, there are children who really experience these turns in their lives, while I am slouching in front of my laptop, doing nothing really worthy.

Oh well, the magic of the novel is the comfort and the hope Angel finds in the stars, and meeting people who encourages her on learning about stars. :)

What I've noticed with Paterson's writing is that it always has a deep stab on family matters, and on old people. Well, that's what I noticed with the two books by her I read. Can't really judge just w/ those two, right? 

I find this book really sweet and simple. A very humble book, yet page-turning, I started this last night and finished it just as I reopened it earlier this night, so this is a really easy read. :) 

These are some quotes from the book:

"...people can't always keep their promises. Even when they want to."

"Yeah, we're small, but we aren't nothing."

"The same elements, the same materials that make those stars up there is what makes you. You're made from star stuff."


No comments:

Post a Comment